The Civic Changemakers Programme is a civic innovation, technologies and governance training aims at empowering community champions who are working or have the ambition to work on technology-enabled solutions for solving civic and governance challenges to deepen their understanding of civic literacy, learn the skills to become democratically engaged and develop the commitment and efficacy to become lifelong leaders and advocates.
Every year, TransparencIT selects and invites six (6) active community champions to develop and scale solutions for disrupting civic participation and improving governance and social justice in their communities. For three (3) months, the Changemakers learn through engagement, training, group work and networking to advance their projects.
The sole objective of the programme is to make a difference in the lives of our communities by developing the combination of knowledge, skills, values, and motivation of the changemakers to foster and implement citizens driven solutions.
The programme is specially designed to make a positive impact on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in our communities.
The core components of the programme are comprised of parallel training on experiential learning, leadership development, inclusion, innovation and grants management.
The emerging changemakers will:
- Take part in interactions with global experts on equity and social justice.
- Receive professional development, mentoring, and networking opportunities in addition to peer group learning.
- Receive support to build solutions around governance challenges and customized programming from TransparencIT and affiliate partners.
- Learn how to adopt technology in advocacy and leverage it to improve governance should the opportunity present itself.
The programme is open to emerging changemakers who are:
- Between the ages of 18 and 30 at the time of application.
- Citizens and residents of Nigeria at the time of the programme.
- Passionate about solving social justice and governance challenges in their communities.
- Available to attend both online and on-site activities of the programme.
- Proficient in speaking, reading, writing and understanding the English language.
- Women and people living with disability are encouraged to apply.
How To Apply
To apply to the Changemakers Programme, please complete and submit the application form by May 31, 2021. The application requires that you write short essays on the inequality and social justice issues you are addressing.
Dates and Deadlines
- Applications will be accepted until May 31.
- Selected applicants will be notified in June 2021.
- Orientation and training will commence in July 2021.
- Civic leadership retreat will hold in September 2021.
The selection panel will use the following criteria to evaluate applications of the candidates:
- Demonstrated commitment to community service or volunteerism on issues of inequality and social justice.
- Demonstrated interest in developing leadership capacities and civic solutions.
- Ability to work with diverse groups cooperatively.
- Strong social and problem-solving skills.